On 15th November 1942 in the ceremonial hall of the Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”, in the presence of many foreign guests, statesmen and important businessmen the National Higher School of Physical Education was blessed.
In the beginning there were four departments:
- Health sciences – Anatomy, biology, anthropology, general physiology and physiology of physical exercises, general hygiene and hygiene of physical exercises, first medical aid, correctional gymnastics and massages;
- Physical education – History of physical education, theory of physical exercises, methods in physical exercises (including practice);
- General education – general knowledge of Bulgaria (in the field of Bulgarian language and literature, ethics, Bulgarian history, culture and geography) common psychology and psychology of physical exercises in different ages, common pedagogy and education by means of physical exercises;
- Organization of physical training – modern organization of physical training in the world, law matters concerning the organization of physical training, notion of organizing camps, summer sports activities, children playgrounds, fairs, competitions etc., building and installation of places for exercising, knowledge of exercising gear and apparatus;
The practical disciplines were divided in five groups:
- General physical training, special and ground gymnastics, apparatus games, weightlifting,
- Music, dances and sketching;
- Track-and-field athletics and games;
- Water sports, winter sports, mountaineering, model construction, gliding
- Box, wrestling, fencing, djiu djitsu, archery;
- Learning of a foreign language (by choice) – German, French, English and Italian.